Are you interested in learning more about tattoos for your ring finger? Ring tattoos are popular for a variety of reasons, and there are many ways that the tattoo can be designed.
Different Types of Ring Finger Tattoos
There are many reasons why people choose to get tattoos on their ring finger.
Wedding Ring Bands
Wedding band tattoos are a popular ring tattoo option. The design allows less traditional couples a unique way to carry their relationship with them. Some couples may elect to get a tattoo on the third finger of their left hands as a sign of engagement, then add to the design later when the marriage has taken place. While some couples choose ornate designs, others may just choose to get their beloved's name. Other couples choose to get essential portions of their vows written around their finger or on it. In recent years, the phrase "I do" has become a popular wedding tattoo. The design options are endless for people interested in having a wedding ring band tattooed on their finger.
If you've decided to get a ring tattoo to celebrate your marriage, be sure to discuss the tattoo with your partner so that the design is best for the both of you. Your options include having different rings, or rings that complement one another. You can even get tattoos that match one another in some way, such as one of you getting a small lock and the other a small key.
Another popular reason to get a tattoo on the ring finger is to honor someone who has passed away. Some people choose to inscribe the name of a lost child, husband, partner, etc. The design is a symbolic way of saying that they are going through life with the guiding hand of the one they have lost.
As with other popular hand tattoos, ring tattoos can be symbolic of something important in your life. Many people choose to wrap inspirational words around their ring finger, such as "hope", "love" or "dream". The words remind the wearer to always remember these messages.
Pros and Cons of Ring Tattoos
Like other types of tattoos, tattoos on the ring finger have their pros and cons:
- The placement of the tattoo is easy and comfortable.
- The tattoo is always visible, just like a real ring. However, you never have to worry about losing it or having it stolen.
- The tattoo is a constant reminder of whatever it symbolizes.
- The obvious nature of the tattoo might impair the type of jobs that its wearer can get. Some professional level positions frown on visible tattoos.
- Finger tattoos are one of the most likely types of tattoos to have flaws.
- The tattoo is also one of the more difficult tattoos to have removed if the wearer decides on a tattoo removal procedure. It's also difficult to cover up a ring tattoo with other ink.
- Any tattoo on the fingers or hands is more likely to fade and require frequent touch-ups to stay looking its best.
Ideas for Tattoo Designs
Are you still interested in getting a tattoo on your ring finger? Consider these design elements and patterns:
- If you're a fan of hearts, starts, crosses or any other small design element, consider getting a ring of them around your finger. Small and simple designs work best for this idea, so don't make the pattern too complicated.
- Ornamental tattoos that you would consider for an arm band can also work rather well for a ring, although you may have to simplify the design to fit the space. Patterns like the Greek key tattoo or a vine tattoo can be both simple and elegant.
- Large patterns don't always work well for the ring finger. Instead of getting a band, consider getting a design below the knuckle that doesn't wrap around the entire finger.
Celebrity Ring Tattoos
Many celebrities have been forging the way ahead with innovative tattoo designs, and this includes tats on the ring finger. Some celebs to have ink in this area include:
- Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee: When they were married, rather than traditional rings they had each other's names inked on their fingers instead. After they split, Pamela had hers altered from "Tommy" to read "Mommy.
- Miley Cyrus made big news when she unveiled her first tattoo - an equality symbol on her ring finger. She accompanied the release of the photo with the statement, "All love is equal."
- Collin Farrell had a wedding ring tattoo done with his now ex wife.
- Portia De Rossi also had a relationship ring tattooed onto her finger.
Weigh Your Options Carefully
Take your time finding the right design and a great tattoo artist for your new tat before you commit to ink. With the small size and many concerns about getting a tattoo in this area, make sure everything about the design works well before you get inked to ensure you get exactly what you wanted.